yFiles.NET is an extensive Windows Forms class library for the Microsoft .NET environment.
Its top-notch data structures and algorithms for viewing and editing diagrams allow you to automatically arrange complex graphs, diagrams, and networks with the click of a button.
Similar functionality that bases on the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is provided by the yFiles WPF library.
For an overview of what's new in yFiles.NET, please see the release notes.
The yFiles.NET library enables you to create stunning Windows Forms-based diagramming applications.
Powerful Graph Controls
yFiles.NET provides powerful Windows Forms controls that enable intuitive interaction with diagrams.
- Easily edit and handle diagrams with simple mouse gestures.
- Benefit from out-of-the-box support for zooming and panning, undo/redo, clipboard functionality, image export, and printing.
- Enjoy smooth change animations and "magnetic" guide lines for manual element alignment.
- All interaction capabilities are easily customizable to fit your specific needs.
Graph Analysis and Automatic Layout
yFiles.NET provides a wide variety of graph analysis algorithms, that let you tackle the most challenging analysis tasks easily.
- The suite of automatic layout algorithms includes Hierarchic, Orthogonal, and Circular layout styles to automatically yield clear and concise diagrams from your data.
- Routing algorithms optimize connection lines in existing diagrams.
- Ample configuration possibilities suit even sophisticated layout demands.
For a detailed list of features, please see yFiles.NET product types.
Source Code Demo Applications
yFiles.NET ships with the full source code of the following demo applications.
The Graph Editor demo application is a fully-featured showcase of the visualization and automatic layout capabilities of yFiles.NET:
- Add, delete, move, and label nodes and edges to create a graph
- Interact using zoom and pan, undo/redo, copy/paste, and more
- Apply layout algorithms
- Load, save, and print graphs, and export graphs to images
The Graph Viewer demo application demonstrates user interaction possibilities such as zooming, panning, overview, and toggling additional node information.
The Organization Chart demo application shows how to create an interactive organization chart with data loaded from XML.
The Collapsible Tree demo application loads a tree with many nodes, whose branches can be expanded and collapsed. The nodes are rendered with custom icons that indicate their current state. After an expand or collapse operation, the graph is redrawn using a configurable layout algorithm.
The Grouped Graph demo application presents the grouping support of yFiles.NET. Group nodes can be collapsed or expanded. Whenever group nodes are expanded or collapsed, a new incremental layout is calculated and the graph is redrawn.
The Custom Styles tutorial shows how to easily change the look and feel of nodes, edges, and labels.
- Visual Studio 2008, 2010, or 2012 for software development with yFiles.NET
- Applications based on yFiles.NET Complete or yFiles.NET Viewer require the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (or higher) runtime. Applications based on yFiles.NET Layout require the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (or higher) runtime.
- yFiles.NET Developer's Guide: UI Components
- yFiles.NET Developer's Guide: Analysis and Layout
- yFiles.NET API documentation
- yFiles.NET Knowledge Base, which answers many frequently-asked questions.
Commercial InformationLearn more about the terms and conditions for the commercial or academic use of yFiles.NET:
You can test and experience yFiles.NET with a 30-day,
fully functional evaluation version.
The evaluation package features:
- unrestricted yFiles.NET Complete functionality, including Algorithms and Viewer components
- Visual Studio projects for more than 30 tutorial demo applications with full source code
- yEd.NET, a full-fledged graph editor application, also with complete source code
- yFiles.NET Developer's Guide and yFiles.NET API documentation in Visual Studio integrated help format
- easy installation including Desktop and Start Menu links to the demos
- convenient uninstallation support