yWorks UML Doclet, formerly known as yDoc, is a Javadoc™ extension that automatically generates clear and concise UML diagrams from your software project's classes and integrates them into the generated Java API documentation.
yWorks UML Doclet makes use of the world-class layout algorithms provided by our graph visualization library yFiles for Java to generate the UML diagrams.
- Introduced new overview diagram type that shows the cross-package inheritance structure of classes and interfaces.
- Supports SWF (Shockwave Flash) file format for UML diagram output.
- New style options for diagram entities.
- Allows inclusion of custom diagrams (in GraphML file format) into the generated documentation.
- New XML-based configuration mechanism.
- Many new layout options for overview diagram types.
- New alignment options for associations and dependencies in class diagrams.
- StyleEd has been significantly improved. It supports the new configuration mechanism and allows testing of style as well as layout options.
Please refer to the yWorks UML Doclet release notes to learn more about the feature enhancements of the latest version.
The list of yWorks UML Doclet's outstanding benefits includes:
- An XML-based mechanism to define new custom tags.
- The possibility of excluding specific classes, methods, or fields from the generated documentation. This is easily achieved by simply marking items with an exclusion tag. Additionally, an interface is provided to enable the use of powerful and sophisticated custom criteria.
- Automatic diagramming for documented types and packages.
- The diagrams can be embedded in the generated HTML pages as SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), SWF, PNG, GIF, or JPG files.
- All diagrams feature hyperlinks, which allow direct access to the documentation of the displayed packages, types, and type members.
- All diagrams may be customized through the use of style files.
StyleEd, an easy-to-use GUI-based style editor:
- Java 5.0 language enhancement support for UML diagrams:
- Names of Parameterized Types include the complete generic declaration.
- Typesafe Enumerations are represented as classes displaying an
- Annotation Types are represented as interfaces displaying an
- Variable arguments are recognized and displayed as "
UML class diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet present generalization and realization relationships as well as associations and dependencies amongst classes and interfaces.
The presentation of diagram elements can be freely customized using predefined or user-defined styles.
A real-world example from the yFiles API documentation is this class diagram for one of the classes in the yFiles library.
A real-world example from the yFiles API documentation is this package diagram for one of the packages in the yFiles library.layout orientation left-to-right
layout orientation bottom-to-top
Both dependencies amongst packages and cross-package inheritance structure of classes and interfaces can be clearly visualized with the overview diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet.
Real-world examples from the yFiles API documentation are the overview diagrams for the yFiles library's packages.
The yWorks UML Doclet requires the Javadoc tool delivered with JDK 1.5.0 / 1.6.0 / 1.7.0.
To view generated API documentation with embedded UML class diagrams in SVG format, your browser requires a SVG plugin. For Microsoft Internet Explorer, such a plugin is available, free of charge, from Adobe.
To view generated API documentation with embedded UML class diagrams in SWF format, your browser requires the Adobe Flash Player plugin. This plugin is available, free of charge, from Adobe.
yWorks UML Doclet is available as a free-of-charge Community Edition and a Professional Edition.
We offer Single User, Server, and Department licenses for yWorks UML Doclet Professional Edition. All licenses include free product upgrades and technical support during a one year term after license issue date.
The following table provides a comparison of the yWorks UML Doclet Community Edition and Professional Edition.
|Community Edition||Professional Edition|
|fully functional||fully functional|
|can be used free of charge||licenses available through our sales partner share-it!|
|-||1 year technical support and warranty|
|-||1 year access to all new versions|
|inserts a web link to the yWorks website on the pages of the generated API documentation||-|
The data you enter will only be used to contact you.
Your message has been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your request could not be sent to email@example.com. Please reload the page and try again.
If the problem persists, please report the error to firstname.lastname@example.org