Generate clear and concise
UML diagrams automatically
yWorks UML Doclet, formerly known as yDoc, is a Javadoc ™ extension that automatically generates clear and concise UML diagrams from your software project's classes and integrates them into the generated Java API documentation.
yWorks UML Doclet makes use of the world-class layout algorithms provided by our graph visualization library yFiles for Java to generate the UML diagrams.
New Features in Version 3.1
- Added support for Java 8.
Please refer to the yWorks UML Doclet release notes to learn more about the feature enhancements of the latest version.
The list of yWorks UML Doclet's outstanding benefits includes:
- An XML-based mechanism to define new custom tags.
- The possibility of excluding specific classes, methods, or fields from the generated documentation. This is easily achieved by simply marking items with an exclusion tag. Additionally, an interface is provided to enable the use of powerful and sophisticated custom criteria.
- Automatic diagramming for documented types and packages.
- The diagrams can be embedded in the generated HTML pages as SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), SWF, PNG, GIF, or JPG files.
- All diagrams feature hyperlinks, which allow direct access to the documentation of the displayed packages, types, and type members.
- All diagrams may be customized through the use of style files.
StyleEd, an easy-to-use GUI-based style editor:
- Java 5.0 language enhancement support for UML diagrams:
- Names of Parameterized Types include the complete generic declaration.
- Typesafe Enumerations are represented as classes displaying an
- Annotation Types are represented as interfaces displaying an
- Variable arguments are recognized and displayed as "
UML class diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet present generalization and realization relationships as well as associations and dependencies amongst classes and interfaces.
The presentation of diagram elements can be freely customized using predefined or user-defined styles.
A real-world example from the yFiles API documentation is this class diagram for one of the classes in the yFiles library.
The package diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet present a clear view on the class hierarchy within packages. Presentation of diagrams can be easily customized by means of the style definitions as well as the layout options; for example, different layout directions are supported.
A real-world example from the yFiles API documentation is this package diagram for one of the packages in the yFiles library.
layout orientation left-to-right
layout orientation bottom-to-top
Both dependencies amongst packages and cross-package inheritance structure of classes and interfaces can be clearly visualized with the overview diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet.
Real-world examples from the yFiles API documentation are the overview diagrams for the yFiles library's packages.
Version 3.1 of the yWorks UML Doclet requires the Javadoc tool delivered with JDK 1.8.0.
Version 3.0_x of the yWorks UML Doclet requires the Javadoc tool delivered with JDK 1.4.x / 1.5.0 / 1.6.0 / 1.7.0.